Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Former Jihadist: 'When You Preach Peace, the Whole Community Boycotts You'

Front Page Magazine has an interview with Dr. Tawfik Hamid, author of The Roots of Jihad. Dr. Hamid, a former member of Jaamma Islameia where he met Dr. Aiman Al-Zawaheri (now the second in command of Al- Qaida), provides rare insight into the mindset and religious inspiration behind Islamic jihad. As I've written in the past, it is vitally important that infidels learn from those who are native to the Muslim world and disillusioned by their experience there, whether former terrorists like Walid Shoebat or Christians such as Brigitte Gabriel who lived in the Middle East under radical Islam.

Here is a selection from the interview with Dr. Hamid conducted by Andrea Jacobs:
Dr. Hamid speaks throughout the US on understanding — and challenging — radical Islamic ideology.

I’m reminded of Jews trying to dialogue with Jews for Jesus and other Christian proselytizers. Either you know your Torah, or drown in their specious arguments.

The same applies to discussions with Muslims, says Dr. Hamid.

“It is vitally important to confront Islamic organizations in the US on these points. They should clarify their positions in an unambiguous manner. Of course, they will say what they say. But you must put your questions to them in a clear manner. Do not give them a chance to blame the world for their own actions. They know how to play with the words. I know, because Iwas one of them.

“For example, a Nazi can say Nazism is peaceful. But if they don’t denounce the Holocaust or the killing of Jews, what they say means nothing.” Dr. Hamid proceeds to offer his method for cracking the fundamentalist Islamic code.

“I am happy to give you the right answers to ask now,”he says, the flicker of a smile forming on his dark features.

“Ask them, ‘What do you think of killing apostates? Is it correct, or absolutely wrong?’ If they say it is absolutely wrong, take them to the next question. ‘Clarify what Saudi Arabia says about killing apostates.’ (The punishment for apostasy in Saudi Arabia is death.) Tell me whether this is wrong. If they say it is wrong, ask them to please put this up on their Website, or post it in their mosque, or have them sign a document stating that this is what they believe.

“The same is true of beating women: ‘Is is correct or absolutely unacceptable to beat women?’ Ask me. I could say to you, ‘Islam generally recommends dealing in a good manner with women.’ Or you may hear, ‘Oh, it’s only in rare instances.’ I know how they trick the world. I was one of them.

“Don’t let them betray you. Don’t . . .”

He struggles for an accurate English translation, his fingers jabbing the air.

Don’t leave the question open-ended, I suggest.

“Ah, never!”

He leans forward on the table.

“Ask Muslim kids what they think about Jews. Kids do not lie. They will tell you what they are being taught. If they say, ‘Jews are nice people and we can live with them in harmony,’ I will be the first person to congratulate their parents. But I assure you, if you ask Muslim kids living in the US what they think of Jews, you will be shocked.”

In the US?

“Yes. In the US. You will be shocked.”

“Dr. Hamid, do you hate your own people?”

For the first time, he hesitates — briefly.

“I am against them,” he says. “When you preach peace, and the whole community boycotts you and your wife and your children, it is painful. Just because you preach that killing apostates is absolutely wrong and is not mentioned in the Koran, and that Jews are not ‘pigs’ and ‘monkeys,’ and the community threatens you, it is painful. But forget my passion, my emotions. Follow the logic.”

Dr. Hamid says the Islamic world did not condemn bin Laden for masterminding 9/11.

“Not one single fatwah (religious ruling) was issued against bin Laden. I have never heard of one. Have you? Yet 24 hours after the publication of Salman Rushdie’s book The Satanic Verses, there was a fatwah to kill Rushdie.”

In the wake of 9/11, many Muslims expressed their sorrow on American TV.

Some were genuine, Dr. Hamid says.

However, the majority were sending their approval to the terrorists via the media by not mentioning bin Laden’s name.

His narrowing brow warns me I’m not going to like what I hear.

“Listen closely. Let’s imagine that I, Dr. Tawfik Hamid, commit a terrorist act. The media invites another Muslim to appear on TV and talk about what Idid. This person says, ‘Islam is against terrorism. Islam is against violence.’ But he does not say my name. I get the message. By not mentioning my name, he is telling me to do it again. It’s like a hidden language in our culture. I know I am being given the justification to act.”

He notices a disbelieving shadow creep across my face.

“You are very naive,” he tells me.
Read the whole interview. Twice.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?